Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Web Based Newspaper in Santa Cruz Part I

What if, tomorrow, the owners of the Santa Cruz Sentinel decided to shut the paper down? Suppose you were the paper's editor and you got a few months severance pay. You think: "this city needs a paper; I'm not going to get a newspaper job anywhere else, I'm too old to get into something new; this is a fresh start and I can do it the way I want to. I am free from the constraints of bosses, of the need to print and deliver."

I am not a greedy guy but I can't run it for free or on charity forever.

I can't really afford to screw up. After all, this is my livelihood we're talking about. So I'd better sit down, figure out what works (and do it) and what doesn't work (and don't do it.)

Things I've Got to Figure Out

  • What's going to be in my "paper"?
  • How do I measure success and progress?
  • What are the keys to success?
  • What do I want to avoid?
  • Who's going to be on the team?
  • How do I organize the team?
  • Where will we get the money?
  • Who is going to "own" this?

No comments:

Post a Comment